The United Way of Harrison County, Inc. was incorporated as a non-profit, nonstock corporation on the 30th day of July, 1957 and was known as the Harrison County United Fund. The name was changed on the 24th day of August 1977.
The purpose of the corporation was to unite the residents of Harrison County and the surrounding area in a volunteer effort to assess the area's needs for human care services: to determine what services would best promote the welfare of the rsidents of the area, and to aid in the delivery of such services by soliciting and making prudent use of resources made available to it from any source.
On September 3, 1957 the Executive Committe asked the Harrison County Commission for office space within the Harrison County Corthouse for the United Fund and were granted the space. This space was provided at no cost and remained the home of United Way's offices for almost 60 years until July 6, 2017.
On July 6, 2017 United Way of Harrison County, Inc. moved from the Harrison County Courthouse, 301 West Main Street, Clarksburg WV 26301, to 445 West Main Street, Clarksburg WV 26301.
The Harrison County Board of Education graciously offered space in their building. This move provided the opportunity to expand United Way services within the community.
All agencies receiving funding are required to be a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and provide services to residents of Harrison County. In January 1958, eleven agencies were granted funding. The number of agencies has increased over the years and currently there are twenty-five agencies receiving funding for 2018. Agencies are required to submit applications each spring for the upcoming campaign year. Applications are reviewed by the Community Investment Committee made up from serveral local individuals who volunteer their time. These committes are assigned agencies to review and serve as the liason. Budgets are carefully examined and the committe members visit the agencies to see how they operate and understand how they serve the needs of the community. This is an eye opening experience for many. Reports are composed by the committe members after reviewing applications, amounts requested, programs being served and their visits. Questions are drawn up for each agency and they are required to produce answers to those questions. Allocation amounts are determined by amount requested and the committee will determine the amount to be approved. Final approval is granted by United Way of Harrison County's Board of Directors. The current listing of funded agencies can be found on the Home page under Programs, Member Agencies.
The first staff member hired was Executive Secretary, Ms. Marie Green in 1958. The first Executive Director, Mr. Jean Birdener from Decanter IL, was hired in 1959.
Board of Directors: Consists of thirty members who serve overlapping three year terms. No member shall serve more than two consecutive full terms except after the absence from the Board of Directors for one year. Regular meetings of the Board of Directors are held monthly.
Members of the Corporation: Consists between 100 and 200 persons, with a goal of 150 persons representative of diverse elements of the community. The Members shall be those then serving as members of The Board of Trustees and for terms of three years. The Members elect successors for those whose terms shall expire or by reason of death, resignation or other cause. The Members meet annually in February at United Way of Harrison County's Annual Meeting and Awards event. Such annual meeting shall be for the general transaction of all business of the Corporation and shall include the election of the required Members and of the Board of Directors.
Community Investment Committee: Consists of 25-30 individuals who review the applications submitted for funding. They serve as liasons for the agencies seeking funding. Their duties consist of reviewing the applications, visiting the agencies, submitting questions, and making recommendations for yearly allocations.
Campaign Cabinet: Each campaign year a Campaign Chair is selected to run the annual fundraising campaign. They will select a cabinet made up of several individuals who are familiar or have connections within the divisions of Accountants/Finance, Attorneys, Automotive, Engineers/Architects, Airport Services, Construction, Communities, Education, Healthcare, Insurance, Leadership, Manuafacturing, Natural Resources, Public Service, Small Businesses and Technology. The Cabinet is responsible for reaching out to businesses and individuals within their assigned division and solicting funds for the annual campaign.
Day of Action: The Day of Action is held annually in June (usually the 1st day of summer). Employers will lend their employees and individuals within the community will dedicate their time and sometimes muscle to provide services, such as painting, cleaning. organizing and other jobs that agencies may not have the time to address. Projects are identified and groups are assigned to tackle them. This event has been very successful and over 100 volunteers have participated yearly.
Giftwrapping: The Meadowbrook Mall donates space for our gift wrap booth. Volunteers are staffed from the day after Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve. The proceeds go toward the annual campaign.
*There are several volunteer opportunities available. If interested please contact our office at 304-624-6337.*